Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Panasonic DVD-LS850 Error H03 (any idea how to fix)?

On 10/9/2015 1:00 PM, Kenny wrote:
Most likely the spindle motor is sticking, Panasonic DVD players were known for
this, a drop of light machine oil or WD 40 often works. This is for a
different model but mechanism will be much the same.

Spindle motor is easy to check: insert media and note which "direction"
it is facing (i.e., label at top, left, right, etc.). Then, see which
direction it is facing *later*. Repeat a few times. If it always
"seems" to be in the same orientation, then motor isn't spinning.

I'd, instead, assume the optical pickup isn't responding to motion
commands (its harder to "catch it red handed" to see if it HAS
moved as it wants to return to a fixed position). You can try to defeat
the cover interlock and watch -- spindle *and* sled -- if you are careful
about where you put your eyes...

[I long ago stopped fixing portable DVD players *and* home DVD
players. A laptop serves as a great portable DVD player. And,
a 5" DVD drive in a small tower or SFF PC is far easier to maintain
than a consumer DVD player!]