Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default stucco cracks

On 10/3/2015 8:30 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 18:14:58 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

~1980 house is built of stucco over cinder block (in some places) and
slump block (in others).

There are long, narrow, noticeable cracks in the exterior stucco suggesting
some subsidence (water is all ground sourced, here). Neighbors suggest
"just slather some paint over it". frown

Is it OK to just patch these cracks? Or, should we expose the underlying
blocks to get an idea as to how much they've penetrated the structural
block?

If *just* superficial, any advantage to polymeric patches vs. (cement)
"stucco patch"?

And, if the cracks permeate the underlying block (presumably on mortar
lines), what's the recommended remedy? Anything "injectable"?
(fine mortar, cement adhesive, etc.)

Thx!

I use this. Works very well. Made by DAP. Comes pre-mixed in quarts or
gallons. Work it into cracks by hand, then paint with elastomeric
paint when cured. Larger cracks or patches my required you to build-up
in layers.

- It creates a hard durable patch which when painted blends evenly
with the original stucco
- It is mildew and weather resistant
- Can be textured to match surrounding stucco
- Durable and flexible
- Ready to use

HD has it or Amazon

So, you're just dealing with the "skin" and not worrying about what lies below?

(for other "stucco patching", I've just used cement with a bit of time
and trowel to approximately texture/scratch it -- paint hides a lot of sins
unless you know EXACTLY where to look)