Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Cedar Chest

On 10/9/2015 12:08 AM, No Pet wrote:

With the high humidity you will have a blushing problem. Can you work in
an air conditioned area? At around 80% humidity you have a fighting
change but 86% , I have some doubts. If you spray it and it blushes ,
don't continue. Just wait for a drier period.

I'll just wait, humidity is seldom over 40% here, but with the El Nino
this year it has been crazy. I have no A/C since I live so close to
the ocean and we are now having the so-call annual devil winds. So
I'll just practice patience and work on some kitchen cabinets for some
additional space.

Or, you can try using 99% isopropyl alcohol, available at most
drugstores and Wal-Marts, as your shellac thinner to get the optimum cut
for your spraying.

The higher the humidity when spraying shellac, the less water content
you want in your cut, and a lower water content will cut down on the
possibility of blushing.

I live on the Gulf Coast, spray mostly shellac, and the relative
humidity is rarely below 90%.

As always, do a test spray on project scrap, but you should find using
99% isopropyl alcohol to cut when spraying helps with blushing.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net