Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forklift licenses and such

F. George McDuffee fired this volley
in :

While there are still "incidents," from the available cost
data it appears investment in [re]training, including short
"refresher" courses about occupational hazards has a high
return, by reducing equipment and product damage, employee
death and injury, and liability for customer injury, for
example food born illness.

No less frequently than annually, we gave a full-day seminar on safety,
handling, and general precautions regarding fireworks and fireworks
compositions. Sometimes, depending upon how many new employees we'd
hired, we'd give them every three months. Yes, each new employee was
given a one-on-one lesson in such, although the more spectacular (and
expensive) demos were reserved for the formal group reviews.

The new employees were awed by the 'accident' demos, and the older
employees enjoyed the refresher, the luncheon, and the day's pay without
actually having to 'work' for it.

We also had a company-wide policy that ANY employee, including the most
junior recruits could stop any process being done by _anyone_ (even their
own supervisor or a manager), if they perceived it as dangerous. We had
a protocol to resolve such stoppages, which occurred only four or five
times in the ten+ years I managed the company.

The two methods together paid monumental dividends.

Lloyd