Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Forklift licenses and such

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 08:54:39 -0500, Ignoramus17325

On 2015-10-09, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 17:36:32 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

From summer 1974 through 1976, I worked at NASA Ames Research Center,
high school and college work exp. I had a US Federal Government drivers
license for light truck and forklift to 5t.

In every other job I held in the states, I was merely asked if I could
drive a forklift, or it was just assumed I could.

Drove around at work here a good 8 months before someone thought to ask
me if I held a NSW forklift drivers license. Was told it was an on the
spot fine of several grand for me, even more for my employer, if Work
Cover happened by and asked for a license I couldn't produce!
Having been bought by a large AU corporation, things like this are being
cleaned up, and most of us that didn't have one now do.
Made me curious though, how many states in the US issue forklift
licenses? I'd never heard of any. Oh, it comes under the heading of
High Risk Work here and can cover a number of things like cranes, etc.

Related, I have tickets (certificate) now in Work, Health, Safety;
Confined Spaces; and next weekend, will get my Working at Heights
ticket. Will be getting Cert 3 in first aid and another ticket for
emergency response team.

Again, don't recall hearing of any such things in the States, outside
of levels of training for first aid. Mostly worked in small job shops
though. So, are these sorts of tickets/certs common in large companies
there?

License? Who needs a license? I mean, what's the worst that could
happen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I4GKm-Vp3c

I thought that it was a Russian vodka warehouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZmOgMlyRE

A $38 cert looks to be cheaper than a stiff OSHA fine, both for the
boss and driver.

I do not see how a certificate could prevent what happened.

A floor guard, maybe would work.

================

Indeed, a certificate only shows an individual has been
exposed to specific education/training, and possibly passed
some sort of test.

The basic assumption is that when people know better they
will do better.

This appears to be correct for the majority, but there is
always the odd individual who is stubborn and/or stupid, and
the individual who gets careless or in a hurry. It is
managements' responsibility to correct this, which can be a
problem if the odd individual is the supervision/management.

While there are still "incidents," from the available cost
data it appears investment in [re]training, including short
"refresher" courses about occupational hazards has a high
return, by reducing equipment and product damage, employee
death and injury, and liability for customer injury, for
example food born illness.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"