Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Forklift licenses and such

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 08:51:24 -0500, Ignoramus17325

On 2015-10-09, Bluey69 wrote:
On 9/10/2015 4:06 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:

Jon
welcome o to the world of work health and safety in Australia .
It's way over the top regulated by people who have no idea about working
in the real world .

Until recently I was employed on a Defence establishment here and the
WHS there is regulated by Comcare a branch of the Federal Govt .
Thier inspectors came into the machine shop and ended up closing it down .
They wanted a guard around the cutter spindle on a manual milling
machine , dead stop foot switches for the pedestal grinders , the work
shop manually operated press fully guarded and a stack of other
rediculous things.
I questioned the inspectors as to thier experinece in a machine shop and
both admitted they knew nothing about operating any of the machinery or
had the knowledge or training to do so.
All of thier wants came out of a WHS safety manual that they were
porting around obviously written by some one with the same knowledge and
skill level as the two inspectors.

Eventaully we got all of the stuff done , the spindle guard for the mill
is only used when the inspectors are around , the grinder foot control
off switches are not dead stop but can be used to turn off the machine.
( imagine what a 14" griding wheel would do if it came to a dead stop
from full speed).The press has guards which need to be removed before it
can be safley used.

Yes we are now under the control of the WHS stazi and all it does is
cause frustration and drives the cost of making any thing through the
roof.

This sounds pretty crazy.

You can stop a grinder pretty quick if you put it on a VFD with
electronic braking.

Stuff like that goes on all over the developed world. A press brake
light curtain that's required in Europe is not accepted in the US, and
vice-versa.

It's almost comical.

--
Ed Huntress