Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default TV turns itself off & on ..

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 1:28:53 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:43:20 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:37:07 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:17:19 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

That sounds like what they may be doing here, along with the same language
("free for a year"). Are you sure about that interpretation? It would be
wrong to give you something and then later charge for what they gave you.
Maybe it just means if you DON'T get any now you'll have to pay to get it
later.

I may be wrong for how long, but think it is a year. Anyway , after a
certain ammount of time the cable company will charge a $ 2.75 a month for
each device. Bad thing about it will not give all the channels, just the
standard TV that is already free on the analog TV that is going away on
cable.

You can get an A-B switch to switch from the cable input to a standard
antenna. You can get one with remote control so you don't have to get
up (I have that.), and maybe you can just connect both the cable and
the antenna with a $2-5 splitter (a joiner connected backwards) and I
think their signals are on separate frequencies that won't interfere
with each other.

We went through that in another recent thread. If you combine the

I don't think I read that one. In another group, maybe cross-posted
here, we recently talked about joining two antennas, but I don't the
other topic came up.

cable together with an antenna using the typical splitter, you will
be driving the antenna with the cable company's signals and radiating
them to the neighborhood.

Did anyone mention that by using an antenna amp, that is almost
certainly uni-directional, that won't happen?

Even without that, I find it hard to believe the puny signal that comes
out of a cable box will radiate even to next door from an antenna. Do
you remember the Subject of that thread?

The FCC says otherwise:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-signal-leakage

Cable companies and the FCC don't like that.
IDK what exactly an antenna has to do with his issues anyway.

Read his post again. "Bad thing about it will not give all the channels,
just the standard TV that is already free on the analog TV that is going
away on cable."

He also said:

"When cable announced that extra box would be
needed for both sets and they would provide them for free for a year , then
charge for them, I switched to Direct TV. "

So he doesn't have cable anymore and presumably he doesn't have a problem
to solve.