Posted to alt.home.repair
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default The USA finally takes to roundabouts.

In message ,
writes
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:58:51 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Would you have a roundabout at every intersection?

We have 4 in a row.

There used to be traffic lights at each intersection along a 4 lane, fairly
straight, 55 MPH road. Now it's a curvy 2 lane road with a wide grassy
medium, 45 MPH between roundabouts (but nobody drives that fast), walkways
on both sides and gardens or flags or other design features at each
roundabout.

Traffic through the area is much smoother and quieter. I would never walk
my dogs along the old road, now it's fine. A lot more mellow, prettier,
etc. I still prefer the woods, but for our before bed mile or so walks, it's
fine.

Again, you are repeating what I have been saying all along. This has
nothing to do with making traffic moving more efficiently, it is just
to "calm" it (AKA slow everything down)

It seems to me that you don't believe the results of the Mythbusters
test - or you believe the results but distrust the test conditions - or
you believe the results but don't believe they would apply real life.

I am VERY used to uncontrolled roundabouts (of all types), and believe
me - unless there's a traffic jam, they are better than often
unnecessary traffic lights, or "After you, Claude" 4-way stops (which,
thank heavens, we don't have here).

Great for the neighbors but they suck for drivers who are trying to
pass through.

Do you really get the green light all the way through (say
north-to-south?) So do those trying to 'get through' east-to-west ALSO
get the green light all the way?

Roundabouts are basically flat speed bumps.

And the roads leading up to the red traffic lights are basically
temporary carparks!

--
Ian