Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default The USA finally takes to roundabouts.

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:40:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:04:10 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 10:29:21 -0400, wrote:

Since both the roundabout and the 4 way stop usually are installed to
slow traffic down (in the US) , not to make it go faster, I am not
sure what myth busters proved.
The most efficient traffic movement in high traffic areas is obviously
vertical separation but the next choice is a system of well timed
lights.

I was surprised last week when I had to make 3 trips to Palatine from
Morton Grove to feed my sons cats.
Only waited for a few lights - out of about 50.
Quick trips. Left home at 7 PM, so traffic was fairly light.
I still remember driving there from Chicago about 30 years ago, and it
was a nightmare. But I probably took the wrong route then.

They have done that here in Ft Myers too. Usually I can get from my
house in Estero to the beach in the morning when I am taking in my
water samples and only stop at a few lights, usually the ones on the
beach road. That is 18-19 miles
US 41 is set up pretty well if everyone goes at the speed limit

We have one (1!) section of road in my area, about 3 miles long, with signs
that read "Signals Timed For 35 MPH"

It works, except when there is a lot of traffic and 35 is hard to maintain.