Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default The USA finally takes to roundabouts.

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:41:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 17:18:54 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
writes

Since both the roundabout and the 4 way stop usually are installed to
slow traffic down (in the US) , not to make it go faster, I am not
sure what myth busters proved.
The most efficient traffic movement in high traffic areas is obviously
vertical separation but the next choice is a system of well timed
lights.

Yes, when your reach a roundabout, it does temporarily slow you down
(even when the traffic is flowing well) - but with luck, nobody actually
stops.

However, even the best system of well timed traffic lights is almost
certain to bring someone to a stop. That's what the lights are there
for!

Would you have a roundabout at every intersection?

We have 4 in a row.

There used to be traffic lights at each intersection along a 4 lane, fairly
straight, 55 MPH road. Now it's a curvy 2 lane road with a wide grassy
medium, 45 MPH between roundabouts (but nobody drives that fast), walkways
on both sides and gardens or flags or other design features at each
roundabout.

Traffic through the area is much smoother and quieter. I would never walk
my dogs along the old road, now it's fine. A lot more mellow, prettier,
etc. I still prefer the woods, but for our before bed mile or so walks, it's
fine.