LASERandDVDfan

Default "Windows protection error"

You don't have to keep the cd, once installed
copy the WIN98 folder to hard drive, that will take care of any
subsequent "please insert the Windows disk" requests.

Or, better yet.

On a clean hard disk, copy the entire contents of the WIN98 directory off the
Windows 98 SE installation CD over to the hard disk.

First, of course, the hard disk must be totally clean. To be thorough, I start
off with a new FAT32 partition and then format the drive.

The Win98 boot disk will need these two files copied to it, however:

These files are located in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND on a computer that has Win98 on
it already.

XCOPY32.EXE
XCOPY32.MOD

After the computer has booted up with the installation boot disk and you have
selected to start with CD-ROM support, type in this following line:

A:\XCOPY32 D:\WIN98 C:\WIN98 /E /S

You may receive the prompt about whether to indicate WIN98 as a directory or a
file on drive C:. Choose to create WIN98 as a directory.

Copying will proceed. Wait until the copying process has completed.

When it does, remove the CD, go to the C: drive, and then go to the WIN98
directory.

Type SETUP and the installation will proceed entirely from the hard drive
itself.

Don't forget to remove the floppy when indicated to do so before the computer
is restarted by the installation program.

The benefit to this is that all the files needed to do any update to Windows
will not only be on the hard disk, the Windows registry will be set to
automatically look for the needed files on the hard disk itself, so you won't
be prompted to insert the Windows98 installation CD again or to have to tell
Windows where the files are on the hard disk every time you have to install a
set of Windows drivers.

Just legally covering my butt. I am not liable for copyright infractions and
piracy because of these directions. - Reinhart