Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21329 Ignoramus21329 is offline

Default Test Pilot Admits the F-35 Can't Dogfight

On 2015-10-08, John B wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 15:45:46 -0500, Ignoramus21329
wrote:

Let me ask a stupid question, does it need to "dogfight"?

In today's world it is doubtful that a "dogfight" in the concept of a
WW I dogfight is even possible due to the speed. Cruising speed of an
F-15, for example, is 500 MPH. Two aircraft approaching each other at
a combined speed of 1,000 MPH can't even see each other for more than
a very limited time, say 3 seconds.

If you were to go to afterburner than you are talking about a combined
approach speed of almost 4,000 MPH.

Right.

I think that fighter plane dogfight is like a bayonet attack. Both are
examples of tactics of past wars. They are no longer flying and shooting
cannons at each other. They shoot missiles from a distance. Same with
bayonetting. Still possible but not really very useful.

I do own a bayonet rifle. I would hate to have to bayonet anyone.