Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Step Climbing Powered Lifts For Help In Going From One Level To Another ?

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 07 Oct 2015 08:50:22 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/7/2015 12:08 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 06 Oct 2015 10:23:00 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

While it may sound over-the-top, have you considered the
alternative: moving to a place that doesn't require you
to ascend/descend stairs?

I have other friends who just sold their co-op on East 57th St. in NYC.
It was so big that it was split in two a few decades ago, but he bought
the other half and put it back together again.

Now he moved to the south where they're amazed at how cheap housing is.
I told them to move to a one-story house --- he's about 64 and he
bicycles all the time, and she's almost that old and not fat at all, but
he doesn't seem to listen. He cares more about architecture. Some day
they will be old, and it could be any minute if one has some illness,
God forbid.

There seems to be a REALLY strong resistance to changing lifestyle to
acknowledge current and EXPECTED future changes in abilities.

That might be it . She's from NYC and he's from Brooklyn, and they've
both lived in 1-story apartments all their lives, even if the story was
on the 8th floor or so. So they've never had to go upstairs.

Except they're renting now, something so small they have boxes in the
way everywhere. I don't remember if's a house or how many floors. I
should have started from there as an argument.

I don;t
know if this is simply "denial" or some fear that accepting the change
"before necessary" will result in some "lost opportunity"?

I talked to him, but not her, because he's my friend and she's just
someone he married 20 years ago. Should I email her, or is that just
causing trouble?