Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default The USA finally takes to roundabouts.

On 10/7/2015 11:25 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Don Y
writes

Don't (some) UK roundabouts have these little "posts" in the center of each
arterial *feeding* the roundabout? So, you can essentially make a U turn
and head back out the way you came -- *or* enter the roundabout?

ISTR some such things but decades since I was there (Manchester/Lpool).

I can't say I recognise these little 'posts'.

Sorry, they;re not really "posts" in the sense of a pole sunk
into the ground. Rather, a "roundabout" of practically ZERO radius!
(we called these "rotaries" growing up; "traffic circles for
much larger diameters). Often, there would literally be a sign set
in a block of cement sitting in the middle of the intersection
around which traffic flowed

In urban areas, just before a
road enters the roundabout, there's often a small 'island' in the centre of the
road where there's an illuminated rectangular 'bollard' with a blue 'keep left'
arrow. There might also be a pedestrian crossing there, so that the island is
half-way across, and serves a half-way refuge for pedestrians. However, I don't
know of any facility for doing a U-turn before the roundabout. If you did that,
you might get arrested for driving while your brain was disengaged!

Took a bit of head scratching to remember *where*, but I think this
is what I was talking about:

,125m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

(watch the wrap)