Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default TV turns itself off & on ..

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 01:03:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle
Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 1:49:38 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:34:20 -0500,
wrote:

This sort of thing will be more and more of a problem as we keep adding
more and more wireless devices in our lives. They all run on radio waves
and there are only so many to choose from. Neighboring garage door
openers are a common problem for *your* garage door opener. That happens
regularly.

I'm having trouble with my computer speakers, so I took the wireless
speaker from the bathroom and it's right next to my chair. So I'm
running wirelessly 4 feet.

Tomorrow I'll try to fix the wired speakers, or the next day.

Have you ever used any Bluetooth stuff? My Chromebook has Bluetooth built-in and I got some Bluetooth headphones

A little. Ii used bluetooth with a cell phone to copy the phonebook to
my computer and back again. I got a bluetooth dongle from Amazon for
$1.69. I bought two brands and one of them worked. The phone was a
samsung. Now unfortunately I have an Android that does its best to make
you use google to store your settings, and I don't want google or the
web knowing anything about my cell phone.

from Amazon. I listen to streaming radio stations on my Chromebook and when I roll into the bathroom, I wear the BT earphones. The rechargeable headset has about a 60 foot range which I think is pretty cool. ^_^

I didn't think Bluetooth went that far. I thought it was 20 feet. At
any rate, I buy what's cheap, and Bluetooth didn't even exist when I
bought all this.

Originally I bought one pair of RCA wireless speakers at a hamfest. from
a professional seller who occupied maybe 1600 square feet in one big
building. His price seemed low but I wasnt' sure. I listen mostly
to talk, and even music doesn't have to be stereo, so I put one speaker
in the kitchen and one in my bedroom. Happy with that, I bought
another pair at the next big hamfest and put one in the bathroom and
one in the basement.

One of the transmitters was bad, but he gave me another one that wasn't
in a box. They have volume and frequency controls on both the
transmitter and receivers, but frequency is easy to set.

Later I found one more not in a box at a hamfest and I bought that for
outside. And iirc I bought one more that doesn't have a wall-wart, and
I bought a wallwart of the right size and just have to put on a plug.

These are like the wireless speakers that used to be sold at Best Buy,
but more conservative in styling, and far cheaper.

I think I paid 20 a pair instead of 100 that Best Buy charged. So they
really were surplus, and probably cheaper to begin with. Now Best Buy
is charging 200 to 400 for a pair. Ridiculous. And I say that not
because I'm cheap, but because, If they could make good-enough speakers
for 40 or 50 15? years ago, they shouldnt' cost 200 now.

Now there's a pair just like mine on ebay, being sold separately for 35
plus 11 each, 92 dollars a pair, and Amazon has a pair for 300. I paid
20.

I have a stereo in-and-out Y connector in the output from the sound
card, and one side goes to the desktop speakers and the other side to
another Y connector. Then one side of that goes to the wireless
transmitter and the other side goes, depending on what works better, to
a balun and some cat6 cable, or to 50 foot RCA cables (and S-Video), to
my bedroom where the central TV area is. I just ordered additional
parts for that yesterday.

[8~{} Uncle Blue Monster