Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

Don Y wrote:
On 10/6/2015 9:21 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 10/6/2015 10:47 AM, Don Y wrote:

I.e., you've got an opportunity to *shine*; to create something
with no "arbitrary" constraints beyond what your own abilities
impose. And, instead of rising to that occasion, you *sink* to
your typical level of performance.

I like the idea of producing quality work/products. It makes more sense
to do it better the first time, I think.

Consumers ahve "trained" the industry to provide them with
untested, low quality products -- because they don't demand/expect
better.

If your customers aren't demanding better, what incentive do you
have to *do* better?

To be the best. Personal challenge.
Good coder always makes it shortest and fastest.
If program can cause hardware problem by pushing it to limit
or programmer did not know hardware is behaving. Once
users using one application start complaining
randomly their number crunch result gives error. Different
users reporting without any pattern. After spending time I could
focus where the error was coming. I could narrow down the codes
(machine instructions) from which I could generate a short script
loop. Now I could see the failing errors ~1 error/25,000 loops.
When I was chasing related logic gates on the main frame, found it was a
timing issue.
One gate's leading edge rise time was like 2 nanosecond slow. Hardware
fix was devised and field change order(FCO) was issued Because this
kinda things software guys, hardware guys never cease to work. BTW,
I was Mutician working in the field with people at CISL at MIT.