Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Basement wet bar: wiring and circuit questions

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:56:30 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 12:38:33 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 01:03:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 5 Oct 2015 10:59:57 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 1:52:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 06:18:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

My concern with this is that the code mentions a "sump pump" must be on a dedicated circuit. To me, sump pump is for a whole house dewatering system in the basement. Does this (under sink pump) qualify as a sump pump by the NEC?

That is not a sump pump. If it is what I have seen in other basements
with septic systems, it only runs when you are running water in the
sink.

Well, a sump pump only runs when you are "running water" in the sump. ;-)

I say that somewhat facetiously, but is there really a difference? Both
pumps are automatic in that they only run when they need to move water
and both the sink and the sump could cause flooding if the pump didn't
run.

Why wouldn't they be treated the same as far as requiring a dedicated
circuit? Just curious.

Well, hopefully you're smart enough to a) turn the water off before you
leave the sink, b) turn the water off when you see the sink about to
overflow, because the breaker for the pump tripped and nothing is
draining.

No one is watching when the sump fills, and if the breaker is tripped by
another device, the pump will just sit t here while t he basement flods.

The "sump" is below the drain level, and can overflow before the
sink backs up - at least on many laundry pumps I've seen. They have a
small "tank" that fills to a particular level before the ejector pump
starts. If the pump doesn't start the tank fills to the top - and SOME
will leak when this happens - making a mess.

Still, he will likely notice that it's not making any noise, and he'll
be there to see the water on the floor before it floods the whole
basement. Before he leaves he'll turn off the water and only a little
more will come out.

That is why I suggested putting it on the circuit with the light.

That too.