Posted to alt.home.repair
hubops[_2_] hubops[_2_] is offline

Default TV turns itself off & on ..

Hi all ;
My old fat-screen CRT 32 inch RCA has taken on a mind of its own -
- it has started to turn itself OFF & ON after working for 20
minutes or so. I took the batteries out of the remote to see if it
was causing the trouble - it made no difference.
Any ideas ?
I like to keep stuff from the re-cycle / garbage bin, if I can.
John T.

There may not be anything wrong with the tv. You may have a neighbor
using the same remote codes for their tv or something else. Or some
other electrical devices nearby. Take it to a distant friends house and
try it there. In the meantime, plug it into a power strip and shut off
the power switch on the strip when not using the tv. If it shuts off
when you are watching it, just turn it back on.

Ask your close neighbors what sort of remotes/tv's they have. You can
look up the codes on the web, on a Universal Remote website.

Thanks for the reply.
The neighbours' remotes are not the problem - various reasons.
- it will cycle randomly and with increasing frequency -
- once it starts .. up to every 1 or 2 minutes -
.. even at 1 oclock in the morning.
I cleaned the vent slots they were not clogged
and opened it up - to wiggle a few connections on the board -
and look for any obvious issues .. nada .

John T.