Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default OT carrier bag charge

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
michael adams wrote
Tricky Dicky wrote

Wonder how they are going to police the self- service checkouts?

I can only comment on Sainsbury on this,
thus far. But they'll be hard to beat.

On the self service tills there are no notices etc. but
piles of bags stacked discreetly at the side beneath
either the input or output platform.

I brought my own crumpled up orange Sainsbury jobbies.

When starting to scan everything is as normal.

I almost always refuse to use the self scan.

More fool you.

Why,

Because its normally quicker to use the self scan,
particularly when you aren't doing a full trolley full.

I'm paying foir a service and that's what I expect not to have to do it
all myself

More fool you.

then wait for someone to OK by beer purchases,
then why the special offer won't come up.

They always come up for me.

Only when choosing to pay is a message flashed up -
a) "Have You Scanned Your Bags"

With [Yes] or [No] buttons. Nothing else.

Now presumably what this garbled message is intended
to say - and be fair they've only had around 6 months
to get this right - is "have you scanned any new Sainsbury
bags you bought today".

and is there a difernce between brought and bought.

Making this simple, if I scan the bag I paid 5p for yesterday
will I again be charged 5p for the same bag.

Previously when I reused any bag, I got 1 reward
point for reusing the bag at the manned till point.

a) if the punter had scanned their bags the machine would
already know. So obviously they haven't.

good point.

b) As any bags will by now will be full of shopping wouldn't
it be better to ask the punter to scan the bag "before"
they start.

Yes and also the larger bags are heavier and the self
service till uses weight to check on each item scanner.

Irrelevant when you select the 'I brought my own bag' icon.

So what do you do when asked

a) "Have You Scanned Your Bags"

Doesn't happen here.

With [Yes] or [No] buttons. Nothing else.

Stupid Australian.