Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT carrier bag charge

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Ironically the modern plastic supermarket bags *are* biodegradable now
(after a fashion even in total darkness). The disintegrate into brittle
flakes after about 10 years judging by some in my loft.

10 years is a long time in the sea.

They end up as fine particulates. It isn't ideal but they are nowhere
near as bad for the environment as the greens would have you believe.
Modern ones disintegrate much faster than that in UV from sunlight.

The plastic things that hold beer 6-packs are much worse for sea life.

They disintegrate pretty quickly outdoors in the sun. Or rather become
useless as bags. But don't disappear into nothing.

They are fairly inert once shredded. Though they are unsightly as
ornaments on rural hawthorn hedges where road warriors tend to throw
them. I honestly can't see things changing as 5p is nothing to them.

As described by Bill Bryson in "Notes from a Small Island", although he was
actually commenting on the bushes outside Liverpoll Station rather than
rural hedges

--
Please note new email address: