Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement wet bar: wiring and circuit questions

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 8:39:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 00:02:36 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 8:10:34 PM UTC-5, Ted wrote:
On 10/05/2015 04:04 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 12:52:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 06:18:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

My concern with this is that the code mentions a "sump pump" must be on a dedicated circuit. To me, sump pump is for a whole house dewatering system in the basement. Does this (under sink pump) qualify as a sump pump by the NEC?

That is not a sump pump. If it is what I have seen in other basements
with septic systems, it only runs when you are running water in the
sink.

Does a sump pump have to be on a ground fault circuit? I seem to recall something about eschewing a ground fault circuit for a sump pump to avoid nuisance trips. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Nuisance Monster

I've heard that also and I would argue that there is no such thing as a
nuisance trip.

A properly functioning GFCI trips because there is current leaking.
Current leaking in a sump full of water is a fairly dangerous situation.
Seems to me the proper thing to do is repair/replace the sump pump.

Not to mention that current flowing to ground in your sump pit is
metered electricity.

I was working in the electrical business when ground fault breakers first arrived on the scene for consumers. CB radios were tripping the breakers and voltage surges or nearby lighting strikes would often trip them. I imagine a modern ground fault interrupter has some smarts and is much more reliable than the first generation. Everything has a microprocessor in it these days and I imagine a modern ground fault breaker or receptacle could have one too. Here's a 10 year old article on the subject of microprocessors used in circuit breakers. ^_^

http://www.lntebg.com/news/upload/cu...995Jan-Mar.pdf

[8~{} Uncle Fault Monster

A lot of electronics will actually have a low current line to ground
fault through RF filters. I have an old TV that will trip a GFCI every
time if the RF connector is hooked to a "TV out" card in a PC.

I had a big 19" rack mount multi output adjustable power supply of the type used in electronics service/development work and it would always trip a ground fault receptacle. I'm not sure where the voltage to ground was but I believe it had to do with the way the power supply was designed to filter electrical noise out of the DC outputs. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Noisy Monster