Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default OT carrier bag charge

On 06/10/2015 13:32, NY wrote:
"Chris French" wrote in message
They will (or should) bring the crates into your kitchen if you want.
so you can unload directly onto the table or whatever.

This will reduce the number of deliveries that a driver can get through
because he will will have to wait for each customer who opts for bagless
delivery to empty all the shopping on to tables - and maybe to check
each item against the receipt.

Why can't supermarkets change over to biodegradable paper bags for home
delivery where you have no option to use bags for life as you would in a
store.

Ironically the modern plastic supermarket bags *are* biodegradable now
(after a fashion even in total darkness). The disintegrate into brittle
flakes after about 10 years judging by some in my loft.

How will shops distinguish between a carrier bag that you take in and
keep reusing, and one that they supply: will they have cameras to watch
what people do at the self-service checkouts?

Old ones tend to be very folded, creased and scruffy after a couple of
uses. We prefer a fold flat crate for a large shop. No bags at all.

The whole policy is ill-conceived and seems regard lack of waste as
being more important than inconveniencing people. What is needed is more
education to reuse bags for other purposes: we don't throw any carrier
bags away empty - we use them all for collecting rubbish in the kitchen
bin, either for going in the dustbin or our compost heap, and only
through them away after they have served this second use. We'll have to
start buying bags to throw our rubbish away in, instead of being able to
use supermarket carriers for doing this.

It is a case of "doing" something for the sake of it.

Expecting people to remember to take a bag for life with them every time
they might nip into a shop for something, even unplanned, is absurd.

You can carry one of the cheapo "5p" ones folded in a coat pocket.

It will be very interesting to see if the 80% saving materialises!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown