Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Re-hanging cabinet doors

On 10/5/2015 8:49 PM, wrote:

I recently purchased an older home and removed all my kitchen cabinet doors
to re-paint them. I used the old hardware and hung back in same positions
but they are uneven. I know they are in the same location because the
kitchen cabinets were homemade and all doors are different sizes and have
latches in different locations. Some doors are tight at bottom but have gap
near top. Others one door is higher than another and another is so tight
that both doors have to be closed at same time and the paint is rubbing off
from the friction.

What can I do to get these doors to hang level? (I think they were level
before I took them off.)

Are you sure the hardware are *identical* -- no manufacturing variations?

If you've used the same fasteners as originally installed, try removing one
hinge/latch/etc. and examining the size of the fastener wrt the size of
the opening (hole) into which it fits. E.g., chances are, there is some
slop between the fastener's diameter and the hole diameter. So, depending
on where the fastener happens to be IN THAT OPENING when it is tightened
can shift the door up or down a bit.

The same sort of thing will apply to latches that may be pulling the
door *in* tighter -- or not (flexing it in the process to make it
seem more or less "flush").