Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted[_21_] Ted[_21_] is offline

Default Basement wet bar: wiring and circuit questions

On 10/05/2015 04:04 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 12:52:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 06:18:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

My concern with this is that the code mentions a "sump pump" must be on a dedicated circuit. To me, sump pump is for a whole house dewatering system in the basement. Does this (under sink pump) qualify as a sump pump by the NEC?

That is not a sump pump. If it is what I have seen in other basements
with septic systems, it only runs when you are running water in the
sink.

Does a sump pump have to be on a ground fault circuit? I seem to recall something about eschewing a ground fault circuit for a sump pump to avoid nuisance trips. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Nuisance Monster

I've heard that also and I would argue that there is no such thing as a
nuisance trip.

A properly functioning GFCI trips because there is current leaking.
Current leaking in a sump full of water is a fairly dangerous situation.
Seems to me the proper thing to do is repair/replace the sump pump.

Not to mention that current flowing to ground in your sump pit is
metered electricity.