Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] millinghill@yahoo.com is offline

Default Basement wet bar: wiring and circuit questions

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 2:18:39 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

Will this *be* greywater?

No garbage disposal unit planned. And I'm not preparing food, but possible some dope might rinse their plate in this sink on Thanksgiving instead of bringing it upstairs. More conservative answer is yes, it's greywater. Does that change approach?

Hmmm... I'm not sure of that. Are you using it for food preparation?

Well, probably not. I will have no stove or cooktop in the basement. I would use it just to wash something instead of hauling it upstairs to the kitchen.

Imagine having a sink near your washing machine (we had one growing up).
Imagine a counter there to fold clothes. It's not really similar to
a kitchen -- except that it has a counter and a sink (but so does
a bathroom!).

True. It'll have a counter with cabinets beneath and maybe above too.

1. Will one 20amp circuit for these countertop outlets suffice? or do I need more?

See above. I don't think it owuld be treated as a kitchen/food prep area.
As such, you might be able to share the circuit in ways that are not
allowed in a kitchen.

First question you should ask is what do you *envision* your needs there
to be? Will you have an electric frying pan roasting up cocktail weenies
to serve to your buddies congregating there? Will you be using a
portable electric grinder to trim ceramic bowls that you're throwing on
a wheel and firing? etc.

No... I've no exhaust fan either. I, personally, would not be preparing food in the basement.

One way of looking at this is to consider the consequences of
something *else* on that circuit tripping the breaker. I.e.,
now your pump is inoperative. What are the consequences?
Would you want a battery backed pump?

My concern with this is that the code mentions a "sump pump" must be on a dedicated circuit. To me, sump pump is for a whole house dewatering system in the basement. Does this (under sink pump) qualify as a sump pump by the NEC?

Thanks for all other comments!