Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Basement wet bar: wiring and circuit questions

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 6:15:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 22:33:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,
I'm planning a wet bar in finishing my basement.
It will have a counter with a sink. No provision for a stove, nor automatic dishwasher.
It will need a greywater pump under the sink because I'm below the main drain.
Not clear on what NEC directs for circuits and wiring.
I believe this qualifies as a "similar area" to a kitchen (as specified in the NEC), so I know GFCI's required every 2ft. on the counter.

1. Will one 20amp circuit for these countertop outlets suffice? or do I need more?
2. Does it depend on the length of the countertop?
3. Do I need a dedicated circuit just for that pump under the sink? (the models I see at HomeDepot draw 8amps, if that makes any difference).
4. Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks for your input.
Theodore.

This is not a kitchen so the only rule you have to follow is the GFCI
within 6' of the sink.
There is not even a requirement that you have a receptacle but that is
your design choice. If this is finished space you still have the
requirement for general lighting circuits so you need receptacles
along any wall segment more than 2' spaced so you are within 6' of a
receptacle without crossing a doorway or similar obstacle. Counter
receptacles do not count for this requirement.

You could share an 8 amp pump with ther counter or wall receptacles if
you want. (less than half the rating of the circuit). Again that is a
design choice.
If I was going to share it, I would share it with the lights so you
knew right away it tripped. Put the receptacles on another circuit.

if space is available in your main panel, be generous with our wiring.

one day your needs wants may change, your better off overbuilding