Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default Island uses combined hydro and wind power to generate electricity

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

Top notch analysis of just how much of this is green bull**** and how
much is real

http://euanmearns.com/el-hierro-rene...ect-september-
2015-performance-review/

A very interesting link, thanks, and the comments are worth a read too.
For me, the take-away is that GdV provides useful input to the island's
power grid but is not the "100% of energy supplies" panacea suggested by
the BBC article. In other words, it's best seen as part of an
integrated energy solution taking in oil, hydro and wind.

It makes it clear that the original purpose of the GdV project was to
pump fresh water up to a large reservoir for distribution (some by
gravity, presumably) to other parts of the island and that the hydro
generation came as an afterthought.

It also clarifies that GdV is pretty much experimental and that lessons
are still being learnt in how best to achieve the best balance between
fresh water supply, reservoir levels, power generation, and having to
extract power from the grid to pump water back up to the upper reservoir
when there is insufficient wind available. It must be quite a delicate
balancing act and one I would have thought would be better handled by
software rather than wetware.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!