Posted to alt.home.repair
Diana Benobo Diana Benobo is offline

Default New GE disposal - loud click when turned on?

replying to Charles, Diana Benobo wrote:
nospam wrote:

Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse
GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on, it
makes a _really_ loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is normal.
It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound deadening stuff
if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800 number was no use.
Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it ought to work?
TIA

I just replaced my 3/4 horse Kenmore with another 3/4 from Sears after 20+
years of service. The new one makes a LOUD CLICK! On startup. They new one
has a rotating plate of diffe%nt design. The old one had food-pushers or
blades that could spin 360 degrees. The new one has blades that click
against structures on their plate designed to stop them. I'm thinking that
it might be too noisy for me even though it might be designed to force
things more quickly into the grinding ring. IT ALSO HAS TEETH,v-shaped,two
of them, one pressed up and the other pressed down into this lower chamber
below them spinning plate.where there food exits from the grinder. The
teeth probably grab and push, but it also is less safe for people who
don't refrain from putting their hand into their machinery. I thought that
free spinning design to be my ideal.