Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default leaking oil into the tub?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 4 Oct 2015 13:09:11 -0500, philo
wrote:

On 10/04/2015 11:44 AM, Kathy wrote:
replying to philo , Kathy wrote:
philo wrote:

It could certainly be a costly repair and probably not worth it for a
ten year old appliance. I'd go for a new "no frills" washer which
should be about $400 Those expensive machines with a lot of electronic
controls ...in my opinion ...are a big waste of money

thanks!

You are welcome

FWIW: My Whirlpool has now gone close to 28 years without a single thing
ever going wrong with it. My guess it that "they don't build them like
that anymore."

My Kenmore, made by Whilrpool, has gone 36 years, but it did need a
belt-tightening some time in the last 5 years.

That was not exactly hard but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would
be. Had to get a pry-bar to push on the motor while I tightened the
bolt that held it in place. Might have used the 14" jack handle iron
from most GM cars in the 60's and 70's. But it didn't stick the first
time or two. I'd have to start the basket spinning in the spin cycle.
Partly because it too crowded behind the machine to be on my knees, so I
had to sit with my legs folded. And partly I think because I'd really
be better off with a new belt. Don't they stretch or glaze or
something?

My dryer is also 36 years old and it stopped working for the first time
2 weeks ago. It's either the belt or the wheels the basket rests on.
Makes a shrieking or grinding noise, iirc. Also I use the How Much
Wetness cycle and it depnds on where the knob is whether it does
anything or not. I don't remember that before. Even harder to work on
because the basement is crowded and first I have to move the washer.

Had to dry my laundry all over the place last time, and it worked pretty
well until I used three pairs of underpants and couldn't find anymore.
I had to open my reserve package of brand new. Later found five pair on
the shower rod.