Posted to alt.home.repair

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 4:35:15 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 10/02/2015 11:27 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I love old SciFi and Japanese monster movies. Because I've worked in the electrical and electronics fields, I pay attention to the "blinking lights". One of the things that always has me rolling on the floor in laughter is the fact that spinning reels for the computer tape drives are empty. There is no tape in them! ^_^

[

And they always go in the same direction... Take a pass writing the
partial products to tape because you sure weren't going to keep them in
core. Rewind the tape, take another pass. Rinse and repeat.

When I interviewed for my current job the head of engineering asked a
question probing my knowledge of memory management. He prefaced the
question with 'Assume you have unlimited memory.' I thought to myself
'I'm going to like this job'.

When you're a technology nerd, you appreciate technical realism in movies that are supposed to be of the current era. SciFi on the other hand......
I remember reading that Gene Roddenberry came up with the transporter for The Starship Enterprise because he couldn't figure out how to land that big SOB. SciFi is all about imagination and I always remember how many of the gadgets from Star Trek seem familiar today like the communicator which resembles a flip phone and the computer tablet that the captain would sign like a PDA or Android tablet. Voice interface for the computers along with touch screens. The tricorder is similar to remote sensing tech that exists today.. Current phaser like weapons need a truck or plane to carry them around except for the new portable laser weapon that fits in four boxes. It doesn't quite fit in a holster on your belt but I still want a Star Trek phaser weapon. ^_^

http://defensetech.org/2015/09/01/bo...-flying-drone/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijp3-zjTIp0

[8~{} Uncle Fictional Monster