Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 2015-10-03, Don Y wrote:
This split keeps flipping back and forth every few years
as technology and personnel costs change. Wait until
some "cloud" is seriously breached: I can see the adverts,
now: "It's 6PM -- do you know where your DATA is??"

I'm not in favor of "cloud" computing myself, both because you lose
control of your data (you don't know who will have access to it under
what conditions, or even if you will be able to access it in the future),
and because it represents a big step backwards 40-50 years or more to
the days of the old computer service bureaus. The "cloud" is just the
latest marketing-speak for a very old concept.

I can see advantages for some businesses with the need for data to be
accessed from many locations. For the typical small business or home
user, simple backup to a thumb drive covers all your needs.