Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Re-gluing loose Formica on counter

Hi Jerry,

I have a bathroom counter top on the sink cabinet. One corner has loose
formica. The cabinet top is plywood, which is in good condition. The
fomica is also in good shape, but it's loose from the plywood on that
corner. Aside from replacing the counter top, I'd like to fix this.

I have had to reglue a few laminate counters that have lifted in the
corners like that.

I used a few wood blocks to hold the laminate up so I could get access, but
not so high that I break it. Then I used wood shims (the kind you buy for
installing doors/windows) to push contact cement into the opening. The thin
wood shim allowed me to spread the cement evenly on both surfaces, even way
back where there was very little clearance. Let both surfaces dry till
tacky, then carefully pull the blocks and press down. I use a J-roller to
force out all the air bubbles, then weight down the laminate for an hour or
two. So far I have had zero repeat failures using this method.

I have wood trim along the front of the counter, so I used blue masking
tape to cover it so I didn't get any contact cement on it.

I'm guessing I did not apply enough contact cement when I originally built
the counters. Hindsight now, but the repairs have held up fine and look
good as new. Just fix it before someone catches it and breaks a piece off.
I wrapped the edge with blue masking tape until I could pick up more
cement.

Take care,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com