Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_] rbowman[_2_] is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 10/02/2015 11:28 AM, Don Y wrote:
Yeah, I turned down a job offer designing televisions in Indiana. Didn't
look like a place I'd want to spend much time -- let alone *live*!
(apologies to folks there!)

It was different. There actually was a lot to do, buckskinner rendevous,
all sorts of car racing, museums, etc. Fairmount had a big James Dean
festival since that was his boyhood hometown. I caught Bill Monroe down
in Beanblossom before the place went upscale. Auburn has a great car
museum. Some people in a little town near Ft. Wayne restored a steam
engine and some of the fancy old passenger cars, and would take it for a
spin every now and then. I took it down along the Wabash to Peru where
the Circus Hall of Fame is. There were a couple of tunnels and they'd
pull through, let everyone out, back up, and come out again so the train
nuts had a photo op of a steamer coming out of a tunnel.

Except for the southern part down near Nashville it was real short on
trees and hills. I learned to fly in the Vermont mountains but Indiana
really spooked me. You could land almost anyplace in an emergency
instead of trying to land on the side of a tree covered mountain but
there was just too much nothing.

I'll also mention in passing that it was the most Christian place I've
ever lived.

I prefer C to any of the others as it lets me imagine what code the
compiler
is *likely* to generate. I don't have to worry that some anonymous object
is being constructed "between the lines" or some overloaded cast is
burning hundreds of machine cycles between one arithmetic operator and
the next, etc. (I do real-time embedded systems)

Working with C and ASM has made me cynical. I look at syntactic sugar
like try/catch constructs and my mind says 'there's a prettified goto in
there someplace'.

Presently using C, ASM, Limbo (C-ish) and SQL on my current project.
Makes it interesting to keep track of what's "legal" at any given time! :

I haven't used Limbo, but I know more about ODBC than i ever wanted to.
We have a separate department that handle the records management heavy
lifting but somebody had to populate the tables with the live data and
that somebody is usually me.

We're looking at a web interface so I've also been playing with
JavaScript in all its glory. There are a lot of ways to skin the cat,
both server side and client side, and I'm trying to pick the method that
isn't going to fade into the sunset like Silverlight.