Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] news@loampitsfarm.co.uk is offline

Default cranes

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 20:52:05 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , news
writes
In article , Michael Chare
wrote:
Where I live I have seen that done using what I would
call a largish lorry crane which is only needed for that
job.

I would assume that the OP is referring to smaller
lightweight cranes that are permanently on site.

In our area in SW France, they often seem to use the local
farm tractors with telescopic buckets for the roofing work.

Elfin safely have prosecuted several farmers for doing just that in the
UK. You have to use a special safety cage mounted on the forks. Very
difficult to use one handed as the safety cage gets in the way:-(

You may not use a cage with a telehandler for planned work, only for
unexpected occurrences, even then the driver must stay in the cab of
the telehandler at all times a person is in the (approved) cage. The
person in the cage must be secured in a cage with a restraint that is
short enough to prevent his body falling out of the cage.

A Mobile Elevated Work Platform must have controls in the cage and
emergency controls that can take control from the ground. I'd love to
be able to use our JCB 535 as a MEWP but there doesn't seem to be a
way of doing this and staying within the working at height
regulations.

Telehandlers may lift building materials up to the work height, they
will still have to comply with LOLER.

AJH