Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi LED lamps

Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

The wirewound resistor was burnt to a crisp

That sounds more like the switcher failed dead short to ground and the
current limiting resistor and all ancillary components were cooked.

Could be, when first digging it out, I wondered if the resistor was
there as a fuse, but thought they'd usually use a carbon rather than
wirewound for that? Then saw it was "mid" circuit, rather than at the
mains input, where I assume they'd put a couple to act as multi-purpose
(inrush limiting, current limiting and as a fuse?)

The 25k hours is for the bare LEDs

Yes, I know that ... but should they really get away with claiming it on
the packaging, with no small print?

LEDs don't make much heat but what heat they do produce
is more than enough to dry out capacitors over time.

The LEDs are on a sizable chunk of aluminium, about 1cm thick, with not
much heatsink compound, the whole of the PSU PCB was potted (not in
resin but grey, presumably thermal, silicone).