Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default FENSA Certificate

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 15:32:32 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Could I get some document from the (reputable)
frame makers?

No, they can't certify the fitting, only give a declaration that the
frames/glazing meet the standards, so not the same thing.

What are the issues?

I'm exactly in this situation, buying a house where "the builder"
doesn't believe in certification!

Someone might ask to see them, and you'll have to say you have no
certificates because some windows didn't need one, and others haven't
got one.

Anyone who can look at the windows, see they aren't falling out, do have
the kite-mark to show they're toughened if appropriate would be a fool
to walk away from buying a house due to a worthless bit of paper.

New glass door and no markings at all!

You *could* get a retrospective building regulations inspection done,

Which carries the risk of not being passed

they may want to see evidence that cavity-closers, lintels etc were
installed where needed, or you could get "lack of building regulations
indemnity" policy for a few quid.

And so many exclusion clauses that in practice it become worthless eg
the one I saw precludes any work being carried out on the premises
that will cause the invitation of a building inspector - so no new
bathroom then.

My solicitor of a relatively small local firm points out that in the
past 5 or so years they've placed around £300k in indemnity insurance
of one sort or another and neither the firm nor any of the colleagues
in any other firm have ever encountered a claim.

Still - my vendor has offered to pay for such indemnity and as it goes
with the property it saves me a bit of a headache further down the
line but otherwise I am advised to consider it meaningless.

--
AnthonyL