Posted to alt.home.repair

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 1:45:16 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 10/1/2015 11:34 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 10/1/2015 10:47 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Mac is just for general consumers. Is there a Mac used as server?

Yes, there are several 1U Mac servers. Now considerably more practical
as OSX isn't *entirely* geared to single users (as MacOS was)

I had assembled a few PC clone to control mould making machine using
laser beam. Using top quality power supply, memory, 3D capable high
res. graphics card, enterprise class HD. None ever had trouble. This
boxes run

PC's have come a long way since the early/mid 80's. And, applications
are now largely prevented from diddling with specifics of the hardware
as they could "in the old days". E.g., I have software that won't
work with USB serial ports, USB parallel ports, etc. but, instead,
requires *genuine* hardware ports. One early ecad program required
a special mouse card and mouse! (the application talked directly
to the mouse, not a "driver layer")

only specific application 24/7. Cutting a mould from special alloy
block often
takes for days. My SIL owns the shop. Always too much work to do. Even
he makes
helicopter engine mounts for military helicopters. Many things for oil
field
equipment, etc. He makes mould for something like RJ45 jack. He is
mechanical
engineer by training.
Couldn't be happier quitting his desk job and starting his own business.

I've not regretted setting out on my own, decades ago. It let me decide
how I wanted to spend my days -- instead of someone else TELLING me how
they would be spent.

I *do* miss not having a "stationery cupboard" that I could raid for
supplies without worrying about restocking it. Similarly, it would be
nice to be able to have a technician order parts for prototypes instead
of having to do so, myself. I.e., the "grunt work" that I can't
pawn off on someone else as would be the case in a 9-to-5.

OTOH, the idea of having employees would be worse (to me) than having a
*boss*!

What SIL did was gathered round some class mates to form core of the place. All
employees participate in profit sharing. Still he says HR is always stressful.

I would think it would be *moreso* because "everyone has a stake" ("You can't
fire me! I'm a part owner!") and all are/were "friends".

One of the best things (retrospectively) in my career was NOT going into
business with my best friend. We had complimentary talents, similar
outlooks/goals, etc. But, in hindsight, he opted for security and
profits while I opted for diversity and "adventure". I.e., this would
have turned up sooner or later and soured our relationship.

He just turned 40. His goal is to retire at 50. Move
to small Alpine town where daughter can practice(rural family medicine).. They
are avid mountain people, trekking, rock climbing, ice climbing, skiing, etc.

I live in fear of "forced" retirement -- i.e., when my mind or body can
no longer keep up with the goals that I set for myself. My current
project has me taxed to the limits of my abilities -- so much so that,
for the first time in my career, I actually wonder if I can pull it off!

I have no idea what to do *after* this as I'm sure whatever goal I set
*would* be unattainable! :

You can always do what extremely intelligent and creative people have done since the beginning, take on an apprentice and pass on your knowledge to someone younger. I've known a lot of guys who's sons weren't interested in their profession so they had to find a young person who who was fascinated with what they did and eager to learn. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster