Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default scrollsaws

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 10/1/2015 11:49 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 08:29:07 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

You say that here but I wonder if that is the truth. ;~)

now the wood is another story

i got some oak logs cut fresh

they split all the way to the center and along the length of the piece

You need to seal the ends of the logs and let dry. Just like you see on
the ends of hardwood lumber that.

Might not have helped. Oak likes to split. I used to love
it when splitting firewood with my brother-in-law if we
got some oak to split, because you barely had to tap it
with the maul and it'd break cleanly all the way thru.
He got some cottonwood once (it was free) and that stuff
has such interlocked grain it wouldn't split at all. I
think he eventually chain-sawed it into wedges.

John