View Single Post
  #181   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 9:01:05 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 09/29/2015 10:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
It was marketing gimmick made up by the advertising company. I've never seen a Corinthian, have you? Unless you mean the feller who owned Playboy Magazine. ^_^

I've seen many Corinthians, having grown up near Corinth. NY, that is.
It may have been easier to be a Corinthian than a resident of nearby
Troy. Nothing like marching out onto the football field singing 'We are
the mighty Trojans from Troy High!'

That part of NYS had been hit hard by the classical naming fad. They
were easier on outsiders than the German and Indian names that left them
tongue tied. For example, Poestenkill. Hint: the first 'e' is a
typographical convention for an umlauted 'o', not anything you want to
try to work into your pronunciation.

I think it's like that all over the country. Here in Alabamastan there is Troy University in Troy,AL. There is also Athens,AL. Heck there is even a Florence,AL. A lot towns and cities here have names from the autochthonous people from the area. Even the name of the state of Alabama is based on an indigenous tribe "The Alibamu". When I was a little kid, I lived in the town, "Attalla" in "Etowah" county which are both words from the Cherokee language. There's even a town named "Indian Springs Village". There are a lot mountains, lakes and rivers in the state that got their names from the earliest inhabitants of the land. I wish government schools were teaching American history like it really happened warts and all. Hell, I wish kids were taught the true history of the world instead of the bizarre Politically Correct codswallop that being shoved down their throats in today's schools. o_O

http://usa.greekreporter.com/2013/02...h-greek-names/

[8~{} Uncle Southern Monster