Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default How to inspect furnace filters?

On 9/30/2015 7:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 4:49:16 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Bill Gill wrote:
Everybody says to inspect your furnace filters, but they don't say what
to look for. On the TV news they always say it, then show a filter that
is completely clogged. Obviously they should be replaced before that.
So what should I look for to decide if I need to replace them. I have
been replacing them every 3 months, but when I do I can barely tell
the difference between the old ones and the new ones.

Bill

Do you check air filter in your car? Likewise see it against light or
sun.

Filter"s" (plural)

I wonder how many people don't even know that there is a cabin air filter in their car.

I have bought 4 used cars in the past three years (3 in the past 12 months) and everyone of them had a fairly clean engine compartment filter but a cabin filter that was black and filled with leaves, bees and other debris.

Partly because they don't know it is there and partly because it
is very hard to replace. Mine is coming up for replacement and
it is a hassle. In my car I have to pull the glove box out of
the dash to get the filter out of its holder. Whenever I get the
oil changed they always show me a really bad cabin filter and
ask if I want to replace mine. I know the one they show me is
not the one out of my car, because they wouldn't pull it out
and I don't figure it is as bad as the one they show me. At
least it wasn't the last time I replaced it. They don't say that
it is my filter, they just suggest replacing it.

Bill