Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Tantalum Capacitors

"bitrex" wrote in message
So I'm working on repairing a Korg MS2000B synthesizer for a friend with a
dead power supply. Here's the service manual:

http://www.loscha.com/scans/Korg_MS2...ice_Manual.pdf

The first thing I notice when looking inside is that the small SMT 100uF
10V tantalum capacitor C109 has completely vacated - it appears to be
gone, blown right off the board. There are some little fragments rattling
around in the case.

I have little experience with tantalum capacitors. Any suggestions for a
more reliable replacement?

You can get MLCC capacitors as big as 180uF - but it won't fit in the
original space.

They're mostly advertised as SMD, but that certainly won't fit - a few
suppliers offer resin dipped leaded versions that you could form the leads
to meet the pads.

Aluminium electrolytics of any kind are a no no! - there was much chatter
about organic semiconductor electrolytics a decade or so ago, that were
claimed to be as good as tantalum, but it lately seems to have gone very
quiet on that front.

Tantalum electrolytics are *VERY* intolerant of reverse voltage, even just a
little bit makes them go leaky. When the normal supply comes back - if it
can shift much current; the tantalum goes off like a match head!