Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-gluing loose Formica on counter

wrote:
I have a bathroom counter top on the sink cabinet. One corner has
loose formica. The cabinet top is plywood, which is in good
condition. The fomica is also in good shape, but it's loose from the
plywood on that corner. Aside from replacing the counter top, I'd
like to fix this.

I know formica is normally glued with contact cement. I'm assuming I
need to use the same stuff to reglue it. I had a thought to buy some
large syringes made for animals, fill the syringe with contact cement
and squirt it under the loose formica. Then stack some bricks or other
weights on top of the counter and let it dry for at least 24 hours.

Is that how the pros do it?
Are there other methods?

Thanks

The best way to repair that is to get the glue under the loose plastic and
press the laminate down firmly to spread the glue evenly on both surfaces .
Then lift the loose corner and let it dry until the glue doesn't transfer
to your fingertip when you touch it . THEN you press the laminate into the
now-mostly-dry glue to adhere it . IF you have a line where the newly glued
meets the area that was still adhered , use your wife's iron set on nylon or
other low temp to press it out . Heat it then lay a block of wood on it and
tap firmly . Actually , I use a heat gun and a steel roller , but you may
not have those tools . 15+ years in the cabinet shop taught me a couple of
tricks ...
--
Snag