Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT I probably can't do that

On 9/29/2015 7:37 PM, micky wrote:

["I can do" becomes "not sure I can do"]

And the words brought back vague memories that iirc, people say this a
lot. It's often the opening words from someone I want to hire to do
something, and maybe from friends too. Memories are still too vague to
give examples.

Has anyone noticed this? Do you have any ideas why people would start
off this way. I'm still trying to remember if I do this.

I think it boils down to folks not *seriously* considering what is
ACTUALLY being asked.

As a consultant, clients/potential clients FREQUENTLY (i.e., ALWAYS!)
ask impromptu questions as to whether something can be done, how much
it will cost, how long it will take, etc. And, they always condition
their request with "I'm not going to hold you to anything... just
give me a general idea..."

But, of course, when the time comes to actually (formally) *estimate*
the job, they are STUNNED at the discrepancy between your initial
"general idea/estimate" and your *formal* estimate:
"You told me it would take X months, so I estimated $Y from that!"
"But you didn't indicate what EXACTLY you were after! And, you
wanted an on-the-spot answer -- you didn't want me to THINK about
it -- possibly fearing I would uncover many subtle issues that would
complicate the effort, etc."
Over time, I learned to give answers that were as USELESS as these
REQUESTS!
"What do you mean: 'anywhere from 1 week to 5 years'?"
"Well, refine your requirements and I'll refine my estimate!"

Some years back, I had to have some medical tests done. While they
weren't "exotic", they were, nonetheless, not "standard fare". So,
I called to make sure the facility *could* (and DID!) perform the
tests. And, asked for information regarding what I had to do in
order to prepare for them, if I had to make an appointment ahead
of time, if they had to ensure they had the required test materials,
etc.

Fearing that the answers I got were just too "pat", I called, again,
some time later to see if I got the same story *twice*.

When I arrived for the test, it was as if I was asking to have my
DNA tested for Klingon ancestry. Or, to have them test for the
color socks I wore on my first day of kindergarten!

After an hour watching folks run around trying to figure out *if* they
could do the test, then trying to figure out who I had spoken with
on my two phone calls (no one would 'fess up), they finally sent me home
empty handed.

Should I have asked for a reply IN WRITING -- *notarized* -- before
considering it reliable?