Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT I probably can't do that

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 29 Sep 2015 23:47:16 -0400, micky
wrote:

They used to sell rails like this at Lowes, but styles have changed.

The ones for sale as rails already had half of their thickness cut out
for the last 4 inches at each end, trimmed to curve around the post they
are nailed to.
I found 5 or 10 portable lumber mills around here, that owners would
trail to wherever a big tree had been cut down, but I lost the list over
the winter and couldn't make the list again. The one guy I did find
again never callled me back.

I didn't expect them to come to me for this. I was going to go to his
home or wherever he kept his mill, on a day he wasn't doing someone
else's trees.

FWIW, they use a big bandsaw.

The portable saw mills are designed to cut and move down the same amount
after each cut.

I guess this guy's mill today does the same thing, Those trucks full of
enormous logs you see on the road sometimes, well, he had a bunch of
those logs lying around, and a few wide boards cut from them. I think
most of the boards he had cut were cut to order or were already sold and
gone.

Today was
more like the sawmill with the Olive Oyl tied to the log and Popeye has
to save her.

Sometimes a mouse is tied to the log, and my namesake has to rescue her.