Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a light fixture mounting plate be the support for theelectrical box?

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:11:28 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:55:03 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 2:06:19 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 1:50:18 PM UTC-4, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
HerHusband wrote:

"When I removed the plates I found that the electrical boxes were not
attached to the studs"

I got the impression the box was just "floating" somehow other than the
front strap for the fixture mounting. I couldn't see a mounting bracket in
the photo, but maybe it's there in the bottom of the hole?

Either way, as long as the box is secured somehow, you should be fine.

Retrofit boxes use wings that fold out behind the drywall and are not attached
to any stud.

In the situation that started this thread, by having the junction box
attached to the mounting plate and then having the mounting plate screwed
to a stud, the fixture is much more secure than it would be if the junction
box was held in by a couple of tabs.

The mounting plate is pretty thick and the fixtures have some heft. The
torque on the tabs would be significant.

I've been glancing at this thread and what I come away with is that the plate supports the box. Like you have one big fraking bracket to support the box so it need not be attached to a wall stud. Am I thinking correctly? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Box Monster

Yes, with the added fact that the one big fraking bracket is attached to
the stud so nothing is going anywhere unless the wall does.

See my detailed explanation to HerHusband back about 2.5 hours ago.

[8~{} Cousin Fixture Monster

That's what I thought Cuz because me and my brother have mounted a lot of equipment to walls in that way. There was an old guy who owned a sheet metal fab company and we would go there all the time to get him to cut a piece of 3/16 aluminum plate on his big shear that we'd use to mount all sorts of heavy things to walls. The plate was wide enough attach to the studs on either side and whatever we had was attached to the aluminum plate with Tek screws. Sometimes we would clean and sand the plates so they could be painted to match the wall color. I miss the old fella and the metal shop because he helped us custom fabricate all sorts of metal items. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Fab Monster