Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How the disabled are ripped off

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 10:47:46 +0100, NY wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:52:11 +0100, NY wrote:

So far no-one has managed to come up with a *physical* speed
restriction (as opposed to a speed camera) which has no effect if you
are well within the speed limit and only comes into effect if you
exceed it.

Yes, they have.

In Iberia, seemingly random traffic lights in the middle of straight
stretches of road are common. If you're exceeding the limit, they
change to red. The higher your speed, the longer they're red for.

Ah, like the infamous linked lights on the A4 in Slough that were set to
keep traffic moving at about 30 mph; if you drove at 20 or 40 you hit
every light at red, whereas if you drove at 30 then once you got through
the first light, all the rest would be at green for you. I heard that
someone worked out that if you drove at 80 you also hit green on every
light - and I bet the ton-up boys on their motorbikes took advantage of
that late at night :-)

Of course, nowdays the reverse is true. Long roads like the A4 (or A4123
in Brum) have the lights deliberately phased so that you have to stop at
every one, irrespective of speed.

Not even possible.

Remember the mantra. Public transport:good. Private motoring:bad.

Must be why they keep building new motorways.