Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default LED bulbs

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
"Robert Green" writes:
wrote in message
On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 4:48:52 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
It seems that you can't do much better than $2 per 60W screw-in LED

but that's a lot of bulbs compared to the cost
of the tube type.
--
Bobby G.

You can do better. Costco is now selling four-packs of 60W LED bulbs

for
$12.99 with a $10.00 instant rebate--cost of $1.00 per bulb.

How much is a Costco membership? I would have to have my neighbor take

me
and use their card (which I like to avoid) since I am not a member. That
unfortunately has to figure into the total price as well. And as Perce
pointed out, it could be a rebate sponsored by a local utility that I am

not
eligible for.

$55 per annum.

$110 per annum with 2% rebate, so if you spend $5000/year (one 70"

flatscreen)
you'll get your $110 back.

OK. That's good to know but my buying patterns don't align with CostCo's
"mass quantities" orientation so I probably couldn't get my $ back. But I
can get my neighbor to take me although I have to then factor in the value
of a favor that needs repaying. I'll wait for the bulbs to drop in price
and for the wattage of the $2 bulbs to go beyond 60W. There are some places
that just need 75 or more watts to see clearly and safely. Besides, I have
boxes of CFLs I bought when on sale that I have to burn through first,
although I relegate them to places where the lights aren't on long (or in
the cold basement or need dimming or can't run in some fixtures because of
heat issues or don't come on quickly enough to safely illuminate the walking
area).

$2 a bulb is the lowest price I've seen for straight up purchases without
rebates. That's still a lot more "light for the buck" than the 40"

models.
I suspect thost prices will drop considerably as more people adopt them.

The $1-2/bulb cost is for A-19's, not F40T8's.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was aware that the F40's are the $19 or so bulbs.
I should have written: "Both form factors will probably drop considerably
(especially the F-40s) when they come into wider use." Unless, of course,
powering the F-40 LED bulbs from the wide array of ballasts out there turns
out to be a better theoretical, rather than practical, solution. I am
*very* worried about the report of a very hot ballast when used with the LED
F-40s.

I expect that LEDs account for a tiny fraction of the light market at the
moment. The cost to produce the screw-in type LED bulbs is certain to drop
lower than the cheapest CFL because of the glassblowing step CFL's require.
And I say "good riddens to mercury-laced, slow-starting rubbish" as they
head towards their final roundup in landfills across the nation.

--
Bobby G.