Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default More on VW Cheatware

On 29/09/2015 16:25, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 4:14:05 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 15:08:03 +0000, Scion wrote:

So... Euro V 0.230g/km, Euro VI 0.170g/km

The US figures are in mg/mile - so Euro VI is about
27mg/mile, and Euro V is about 36mg/mile. Both are way down
in the lower bins. Even Euro III's .56g/km = 89mg/mile. Hell,
even 1992's Euro I had a cap of HC+NOx of 0.97 = 155mg/mile -
within the current upper US bin, and only 5.5x the Euro VI
figure, let alone the alleged "40x"...

Could be that the 40x is what the people who discovered the
anomaly found during 'real-world' tests vs. the permitted output
for the band that the cars were in.

So the "real world" emissions are six or seven times what was
permitted nearly 25 years ago...?

No, I don't buy it. I don't buy that VW's engineers are uniquely
incompetent and disingenuous, either.

But why would VW basically admit to fraud if they did not believe
themselves to be guilty? They did not try to spin it in a PR way at
all.

One article I read said that most diesels in the US use urea exhaust
treatment, but VW did not include that on the 2.0 TDIs making out
they have superior engine tech that did not need it. Of source that
engine tech (just more exhaust re-circulation during "test" mode ?)
was not active in normal driving.

I also heard it reported that they did include Urea treatment, but it
was switched off during normal driving so it would not run out.

Not sure which is correct.

Could be both... IIUC some of the later model 2L engines do have the
urea treatment system, while the earlier ones were claimed to not need it.

--
Cheers,

John.