Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default LED bulbs

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 09/29/2015 12:22 AM, wrote:

It seems that you can't do much better than $2 per 60W screw-in LED

but that's a lot of bulbs compared to the cost
of the tube type.

You can do better. Costco is now selling four-packs of 60W LED bulbs for

$12.99 with a $10.00 instant rebate--cost of $1.00 per bulb.

What brand/type/model? Do you remember?

At least where I live, the instant rebates on LED bulbs (and on CFL
bulbs previously) have been from the utility company -- so the rebate
you mention may not be available everywhere.

Worse than that, you've probably been already charged $20 on your power bill
in hidden fees that paid for the $10 rebate. (-: At least that's the way
it works around here.

Since it's an instant rebate (I've had it with mail-ins), I might just go to
Costco since $1 a bulb is quite a deal. Thanks!

I've had some early CFL experience that a suspicious person could conclude
were merchants dumping batches of problem bulbs and a steep rebate really
clears the deck of old stock. So I always wonder what the deal is.

But $1 per 60W of light really makes the long 40" tube (at the prices
mentioned here recently) look bad in a price per lumen comparison.

The problem now is to find or fashion a fixture that can output light
similar enough to a shoplite's to be useful and cost-effective. Of course,
there's the issue of safety and code-worthiness I have not yet addressed in
DIY lamp fixtures.

I also want to understand how these units are powered. The report of what
seems to be serious overheating in a new product like this makes me want to
wait until more long-term user reports appear.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.