Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scion[_2_] Scion[_2_] is offline

Default More on VW Cheatware

sm_jamieson put finger to keyboard:

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:19:49 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:54:32 +0000, Scion wrote:

dennis@home put finger to keyboard:

On 28/09/2015 09:55, Brian-Gaff wrote:
What I could never get a simple answer on though is this. If the
management was used in this so called low emission mode all the
time, just how much performance would you loose?
I am beginning to think that this is probably because no engine
ever made
could pass the emissions standard on real life conditions of
driving no matter what you did. any standard that is not achievable
is basically pointless. What should be done is that a range of
emissions under the different conditions needs to be given and its
up to the purchaser what they decide to buy. and of course its up
the regulators to decide on which list they will support with
their tax schemes.

Other cars have passed the same test so maybe they cheated too or
maybe they have better engineers.

There was speculation that VW cheating the tests allowed them to
remove the AdBlue system from their 2-litre range hence reducing unit
cost.

Small problem...

There's talk of "40x" the permitted NOx.

For Euro V (which these engines are), NOx max is .18g/km. For Euro VI
(which the AdBlue replacements are), NOx max is 0.05g/km.

For Euro III - in 2000, the first to introduce a NOx cap - the cap was
0.8g/km.

So... 40x the EuroVI cap would be 2g - four times the fifteen year old
and twice superceded cap. 40x the Euro V cap would be 7.2g/km - nearly
15x the Euro III cap...

The US caps don't appear to be anywhere NEAR as easy to understand -
there doesn't appear to be a NOx cap, instead a raft of different tiers
of NMOG+NOx. Whatevertheflying****erigar NMOG is...

googles
Oh. Right. Non-Methane Organic Gas. The sum of all non-oxygenated and
oxygenated hydrocarbons. So let's call it equivalent to the EU HC+NOx.

So... Euro V 0.230g/km, Euro VI 0.170g/km

The US figures are in mg/mile - so Euro VI is about 27mg/mile, and Euro
V is about 36mg/mile. Both are way down in the lower bins. Even Euro
III's .56g/km = 89mg/mile. Hell, even 1992's Euro I had a cap of HC+NOx
of 0.97 = 155mg/mile - within the current upper US bin, and only 5.5x
the Euro VI figure, let alone the alleged "40x"...

https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t3.php

So WTF is going on?

I had not worked out the figures, but this 40x figure bleated in all the
press did not seem likely to me - it is probably media confusion
perpetuated as usual.

Simon.

Could be that the 40x is what the people who discovered the anomaly found
during 'real-world' tests vs. the permitted output for the band that the
cars were in. If so the tested output with the cheat software disabled
will likely be less.